Oct 27, 2010

Not Yet

Top: Salvation Army - Refashioned by Me
Pants: Kohls
Earrings: Target

I live in Texas and it's not even Fall yet. Seriously, I'm wearing sleeveless tops and open toed shoes! I love it. I'm not looking forward to winter.

I bought this 100% silk top at the Salvation Army for about $2. The silk feels to nice, hangs perfectly, and I love the color. Here's the "before" picture.
I removed the sleeves, collar, and pockets. I used the collar stay and cut the sleeves up to make the little ties. Here are a few pictures of some of the steps I took.

After taking it all apart I cut across the chest. I know its a little difficult to see.
I gathered the bottom part and sewed it back together.
I took it in on the side. Then gathered and sewing across the chest threw off the sides a little, but I evened it up.
Then I trimmed the neckline into a V shape.
Then I put the collar stay back on.
I cut bias strips from the sleeves to create the ties for the neck. Don't mind the sleeve pattern piece. I was thinking about making sleeves, but cut more bias pieces again to bind off the armholes.
Sorry I didn't take pictures of putting the ties on. I also hemmed the back because when I sewed the sides back together the front and back were uneven.

2 comments:

  1. SO cute!! I've been having an on going battle with some silk charmeuse, it looks like your silk behaved well for you though. I like the idea of refashioning, much less work than starting from scratch. I love this rich color on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The only place where the fabric when a little weird on me was the hem in the back, so I lazily tucked it in! But, I love refashioning, too it is so much less work.

    ReplyDelete